Our purpose is to repurpose.
We collect university items no longer being used and find them a new home.
Surplus Property is responsible for collecting, storing and transferring The University of Texas at Austin's property to other organizations within the university system, other Texas public agencies, or the community at large. We handle approximately 20,000 capitalized and controlled items—about 2,000 tons of property—each year.
We offer the following services to employees on the university's Main Campus, J. J. Pickle Research Campus (PRC), UT System offices, and other facilities such as the UT Elementary School:
- Collection and storage of the university's surplus furniture such as desks, chairs and tables and equipment such as computers and laboratory equipment
- Delivery and pick-up of the university's surplus property, upon request (allow 4-6 weeks from time of notice)
- Supply of chairs, tables, desk-top podiums and portable chalkboards for classroom use
We also provide oversight and coordination of the following services to the Greater Austin and Texas communities:
- Transfer of the university's surplus property to benefit other local and Texas public agencies such as schools, shelters, clinics and more
- Public auction of the university's surplus property
- Safe disposal or recycling of all excess surplus property
Surplus Property operates two warehouses at the J.J. Pickle Research Campus:
- The warehouse space at Building 45 is used for items available for reuse on campus, as well as large items including lab and mechanical equipment and vehicles.
- The warehouse space at Building 30 is used to house auxiliary items for auction and storage for online auctions. This warehouse also serves as the location for Surplus Reuse Store events.
Building 45 Visiting Hours:
- University students, faculty and staff: 8:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. and 1:00-4:00 p.m. on Fridays. No appointment necessary.
- Qualifying outside agencies: 8:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. and 1:00-4:00 p.m. on Mondays (excluding holidays). Please email firstname.lastname@example.org prior to your visit to ensure qualification requirements have been met.
Building 30 Visiting Hours: Building 30 does not currently have scheduled visiting hours. If you would like to pick up an item won through an online auction, please contact Surplus Property at 512-471-7889 or email us at email@example.com to schedule an appointment. Beginning March 22, 2018, the Surplus Reuse Store will be open from 3:00-7:00 p.m. every Thursday.
Shipping Receiving Hours: 8:00-11:00 a.m. and 1:00-3:00 p.m., Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays, by appointment preferred. Contact Surplus Property at 512-471-7889 or firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule.
Office Hours: 7:30 a.m.-12:00 p.m. and 1:00-4:30 p.m., Monday-Friday.
Please note: Surplus Property is closed on Saturdays and Sundays.
Location & Parking
Enter J.J. Pickle Research campus (PRC) at the address below:
10100 Burnet Road, Austin, TX 78758
(Between U.S. 183 and Braker Lane)
* All visitors must use the Burnet Road entrance. Visitors may EXIT campus through the Burnet Road or Braker Lane gates
Direct Building Addresses:
Building 45: 10301 Creativity Trl, Austin, TX 78758
Building 30: 3300 Read Granberry Trl, Austin, TX 78758
Parking for Surplus Property visitors can be found surrounding the warehouses and nearby streets, as marked. Avoid areas where signage restricts parking. Temporary parking permits are available at the kiosk located in the eastern most parking lot of the Pickle Research Campus complex.
We welcome you and would like to accommodate your visit, based on our hours of operation and your specific needs. Please call ahead or refer to our hours above to schedule your visit accordingly.
Email and fax checked during our office hours of 7:30 a.m.-12:00 p.m. and 1:00-4:00 p.m., Monday-Friday.
Surplus Property Supervisor
Surplus property not claimed by the university's organizations or other assistance organizations is sold to the general public via online auction. The professional auction house that runs the event is independent of the university and follows State of Texas procedures to ensure proper and legal transfer of all surplus property.
Pre-selection by University Organizations or Assistance Organizations
Before any items in Surplus Property are made available for public auction, the university’s organizations and other qualified assistance organizations may identify through a pre-selection process those Surplus Property items they can use to help them avoid unnecessary purchases. Representatives may preview the inventory during these hours:
- University students, faculty, and staff: 7:30-11:30 a.m. and 1:00-4:00 p.m. on Fridays. No appointment necessary.
- Qualifying assistance organizations: 7:30-11:30 a.m. and 1:00-4:00 p.m. on Mondays (excluding holidays).
Please note: Preview and pre-selection of Surplus Property items prior to the public auction should only be carried out in an official capacity, not for personal use.
Online Auction Information
Surplus furniture and other large items are most often sold through our weekly online auction process. These items include, but are not limited to, furniture, professional machinery, work-out equipment and various memorabilia. To view items currently available via the Surplus Property online auction, please visit the auctioneer's website.
All online auctions are posted on a weekly or bi-weekly basis and will remain live for a minimum of 10 days before closing.
Items for auction may be viewed by prospective buyers prior to bidding. To set up an appointment for viewing, call us at 512-471-7889 or email us at email@example.com.
To pick up an item won via online auction, call 512-471-7889 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an appointment.
You can also visit us at our Surplus Property Facebook page.