Recharge Rates for FY 2019-2020
Facilities Services Labor Rates (per hour)
Below is a chart of the labor rates per hour by the type of service provided. All rate changes were approved by the university’s Senior Vice President and Chief Financial Officer Darrell Bazzell.
|Building Maintenance||Fire Safety Systems||Custodial||Landscape||Events/Moving||Locks/Keys|
|2009 cost recovery rate||$33.03||$33.03||$21.28||$24.58||$27.12||$33.03|
|FY 2017-2018 approved cost recovery rate||$39.64||$39.64||$25.54||$29.50||$50.78||$54.99|
|FY 2018-2019 approved cost recovery rate||$47.57||$47.57||$28.64||$35.40||$50.78||$54.99|
|FY 2019-2020 approved cost recovery rate||$57.08||$57.08||$28.64||$42.48||$60.94||$58.73|
|FY 2020-2021 planned cost recovery rate||$68.50||$72.99||$28.64||$44.89||TBD||$58.73|
|FY 2021-2022 planned cost recovery rate||$70.44||$72.99||$28.64||$44.89||TBD||$58.73|
|Full cost recovery rate||$70.44||$72.99||$28.64||$44.89||$69.82||$58.73|
Other Facilities Services Rates
|Solid Waste: Landfill, 1.5 cubic yard dumpster/dock hamper||$1,827 per year|
|Solid Waste: Recycling, 1.5 cubic yard dumpster/dock hamper||$1,513 per year|
|Solid Waste: Landfill, 96 gallon toter||$609 per year|
|Solid Waste: Recycling, 96 gallon toter||$504 per year|
|Building Automation System (BAS) Monitoring||$5.68 per point, per year|
|Lock & Key Services: Issue new key||$13.60 per key issued|
|Lock & Key Services: Rekey lock/cylinder||$81.00 per lock/cylinder rekeyed|
Frequently Asked Questions - Rates
- Why is there an increase?
- Recharge rates in Facilities Services had not increased since 2009. The 2009 rates did not reflect the full cost of providing each service, but only reflected partial labor costs and ignored all non-labor costs (such as uniforms, telephones, fuel, vehicle maintenance, computers, etc.). Insufficient rates resulted in Facilities Services indirectly subsidizing various campus departments.
- Who approved the increase?
- The increase in recharge rates was approved by the university’s Senior Vice President and Chief Financial Officer Darrell Bazzell.
- What is the impact?
- The impact of these recharge rate changes to Educational & General (E&G) units is limited to those departments who routinely request services beyond the current service level standard, or who request non-core services such as event & moving support. For those units who get by with the current service level standard and don’t routinely request non-core services, the impact should be negligible.
- When are the new rates effective?
- In fiscal year 2019/2020, the new rates are effective September 1, 2019. The recharge rate increases for Facilities Services began at the start of the university’s 2017/2018 fiscal year (September 1, 2017) to reflect the full costs of providing services.
- Will there be more changes in recharge rates for core services in the coming fiscal years?
- Due to the magnitude of the increases, the recharge rates for core services (building maintenance, fire safety systems, custodial services and landscape services) are being phased in over multiple years, increasing by 20% each year until the full cost recovery rate is achieved.
- Are there any changes specific to auxiliary units?
- Facilities also began charging auxiliaries for solid waste/recycling services, lock & key services and building automation system monitoring on September 1, 2017. These services were never billed to auxiliaries in the past.
- Are there any changes to charges for non-core services?
- The recharge rate for event and moving services (which are not considered core services) is being brought closer to its full-cost recovery rate, and is charged to both E&G and auxiliary units.
Terms & Conditions
Facilities Services is establishing Terms & Conditions (T&C) for its services to better align customer expectations with the services we provide and improve our operations so we can offer the best possible experience to our clients. Establishing T&C is a best practice in the service industry. Most clients will experience minimal to no financial impact.
Our T&C effort begins with event services effective September 1, 2019. Download the Events T&C (PDF). The Facilities Service Center (FSC) has also developed a process map for event requests, which illustrates how the new terms and conditions affect the event request process. Download the Events Terms & Conditions FSC Process Flow.
The most significant change that incurs additional charges not related to missing a deadline is that drop-off only services are no longer provided. Clients who previously requested this service must now submit a typical work request that includes event labor to set up and break down requested equipment. This change helps ensure that event equipment is not damaged and is ready for pick-up, which will have a positive impact on our services.
Additional charges not related to missing a deadline are for staple/tape removal, drying out wet equipment and increased charges for moving additional items not in the original request.
Facilities Services plans to develop T&C for BAS Monitoring, Lock & Key Services, Surplus Property, and Solid Waste & Recycling in the future, and we will keep you informed as those are completed.