- How to Request and Pick Up Keys
Main Campus: Obtain a Key Request and Authorization (PDF) signed by the person in your department with key signature authority, and bring the form and a picture ID to the Lock & Key Services office. Individuals to be assigned keys must appear in person at the Lock & Key Services office between 7:30 a.m. and 4 p.m., Monday through Friday, to pick up their key(s). For security reasons, we are unable to deliver keys on Main Campus.
PRC: Obtain a Key Request and Authorization (PDF) form signed by the person in your department with key signature authority. The key signature authority should then email the Key Request and Authorization form to email@example.com to set up delivery of the requested keys.
**Please note: Courier Service to the PRC and WPR campuses has been suspended during our Fall Rush (8/08/22 through 9/08/22). We will resume delivery to PRC on Thursday 9/15/22. Keys may be picked up and/or returned at our Main Campus location in SER 101, 304 E. 24th Street.
Beginning September 23, 2021, we will deliver keys to PRC every Thursday, between 9 and 11 a.m. To have keys delivered, the completed key request and authorization form must be submitted through email to Lock and Key Services. Once the request is confirmed, the key will be prepared and brought to the PRC Lock and Key Services office in P19 for pickup. The completed, printed key request and authorization form and a valid identification is required for pickup.
Lock & Key Services will reply to your email with further instructions specific to your key request, if needed.
- What You Need to Pick Up Keys
- How to Return Keys
All keys assigned by Lock & Key Services are the property of The University of Texas at Austin and must be returned upon separation from the university.
Key Control and Accountability Policy (HOP 4-1020) VII.A.4 "Any key holder who knowingly fails to return a University key as outlined in this policy and associated procedures may be subject to administrative disciplinary action... Key holders may contact their designated key issuing authority at any time to obtain a list of University keys currently assigned to them."
Main Campus: To guarantee you are credited for the return of your key, all faculty, staff and students located on Main Campus must return their key(s) in person. To do this, go to the Lock & Key Services office at SER 101 (the same location where you picked your key(s) up).
PRC: Faculty, staff and students located at PRC may return keys to Lock & Key Services in one of the following ways:
- Return in person at SER 101, as described above.
- Request a pick-up by emailing LocksandKeys@austin.utexas.edu with the name and EID of the person returning the key(s), number of keys being returned, and what these keys unlock. A representative from Lock & Key Services will reply with a pick-up date and time.
- Drop off keys at the PRC Key Return Box located inside PRC P19. The drop box is mounted to the wall between rooms 1.126 and 1.122.
Please note: You must return keys to the Lock & Key Services office in order for us to remove the keys from your record. Be sure to return them properly using one of the methods listed above. (We recommend you return keys in person so you can get a receipt of return.)
- How to Report a Lost or Stolen Key
In the event a University key is lost or stolen, the key holder shall notify their designated key signature authority, who authorized the issuance of the keys, and University of Texas Police Department (UTPD) as soon as possible, but no later than 24 hours after the loss was known.
Within 24 hours, a Lost or Stolen Key Report (PDF) must be submitted to Lock & Key Services by the key holder documenting the circumstances of the loss. Lock & Key Services will provide a copy of this report to UTPD. Special circumstances (e.g., the key was taken in the commission of a crime) should be reported immediately to UTPD, who will dispatch a police officer to complete the report.
- How to Request Replacement Keys
The individual assigned the key must visit Lock and Key Services in person.
- If your key is imperfect or broken and needs to be replaced.
Main Campus: Bring the key in its entirety (both halves) and your UT photo ID to the Lock and Key Services office on Main Campus.
PRC: Contact your key signature authority to set up a day for pick up by the Lock and Key Services courier.
- Please note: If your key is broken and you do not have all the parts, you will need to request a new key, as described below.
- If you lose your key, or your key is broken and you do not have all the broken pieces, submit a new Key Request and Authorization (PDF) to your key signature authority.
- If your locks change, bring your old key to be returned, your UT photo ID, and a valid new Key Request and Authorization (PDF) signed by your key signature authority to the Lock & Key Services office to be issued a new key.
- How to Request File Cabinet, Desk and Miscellaneous Keys
To request keys for file cabinets, desks, or other miscellaneous non-university-issued locks, fill out a service request online through WORQS. Once Lock & Key Services receives your request, we will contact you when your key is ready for pickup.
Please note: We are unable to create double-sided keys except for wheelchair lifts.
Make sure the request includes:
- Valid account number for billing purposes
- Signature of key signature authority
- List of the key(s) being requested. Include the building and room number location of the furniture item with your request.
- Key(s) Codes (The code can usually be found on the key or in small type on the lock the key goes into. See below for assistance with obtaining key codes.)
- Indication of whether you have a copy of the key you want duplicated
- Allow an additional 24 to 48 hours to complete this key request.
- Please note: In some cases, such as for an antique cabinet, a key blank may not be available, and we will not be able to generate a key. In these cases, a new lock and key set can be requested.
- Request the installation of a new lock and key set.
Costs for miscellaneous key copies: Material and labor charges are associated with creating copies of miscellaneous keys. Providing Lock & Key Services with a copy of the key you want duplicated will decrease the labor charge. For an estimate of how much it will cost to have miscellaneous keys made, please call Lock & Key Services at 512-471-8640 or 512-471-7096. If you simply need your furniture unlocked, see the Furniture Locks section.
- Contractor Keys
Assignment of keys to vendors, contractors, and service personnel (“contractor”) will be by the same means as other key holders.
A Contractor’s Key Request (PDF) and Key Request and Authorization (PDF) must be completely filled out and authorized by an appropriate key signature authority having jurisdiction over the particular project or contract in question (such as a project manager, building manager, etc.).
NOTE: Project managers, building managers, etc., do not automatically have key signature authority by virtue of their position. Therefore, key signature authority must be delegated to them in writing from an individual who possesses principal key signature authority.
A Contractor’s Key Request (PDF) may not be open ended and must include a specified end date. The end date specified must be no later than the end date of the contract under which the contractor is operating, to include any option periods.